Myrtle student injured by train
A train collision with a vehicle left a Myrtle High School student injured early Tuesday morning, just yards from the school.
Union County Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Benjamin Paist, 18, a student of Myrtle Attendance Center, was injured in the accident which occured at approximately 7:40 a.m. Tuesday.
According to Edwards, Paist was driving his white Isuzu Rodeo south on Graham Avenue and was driving through the railroad crossing when a Burlington Northern train hit the vehicle.
“We believe he’s going to be alright, but we don’t know for sure,” Edwards said.
The sheriff said it’s unknown whether or not Paist saw or heard the train crossing signal before attempting to pass through the intersection.
“I’m not sure if maybe the sun was in his eyes and he didn’t see the lights, or what,” Edwards said.
Edwards said that Paist was airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center. Other witnesses said that he was responsive and breathing on his own when the helicopter was departing.
Paist is a senior at Myrtle Attendance Center. He is listed as a guard for the school’s basketball team. The school postponed Tuesday’s matchups with Coldwater after learning of the accident.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert