Message of Martin Luther King memorial day is ‘Carry on’
The Union County courtroom filled Saturday afternoon as local residents gathered for a spirited celebration of the life of civil-rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The theme this year was “We must go on” and keynote speaker Derric Morrison, pastor of Pontotoc Second Baptist Church, expanded on that using Hebrews 12:1-3.
He talked about the influence Dr. King had during his lifetime, adding “He has been a great blessing beyond his years.”
But Morrison then noted that King now has been gone more than 40 years and that the torch has been passed. “To each of us is given an appointed time and it’s your time now,” he said. “We must go on.” Morrison said we can’t appreciate the fullness of what we are doing, that it sometimes takes years, but our focus should not just be on making our own lives better, but better for coming generations.
He cited the phrase, “Pay it forward,” saying, “We can’t go back to the past great heroes, but we can help the next generation.”
Referring to comment made earlier by Bro. Shaun Vaughn, Morrison said “It’s not a question of do we have what we need, but rather will we use what we have.”
Dr. King not bothered by negative people, Morrison said, but by the silence of good people, saying or doing nothing.
“We must go on,” he reiterated.
The program Saturday included music by Sis. Gloria High and the Watson Grove Choir, performances by dance and step teams, the speech by Bro. Shaun Vaughn and a reading by Sis. Chawnteea’ Campbell.
Also on the program were Minister Carl Dozier, Minister Ronnie Rutherford, Pastor Henry Finley, Bro. Henry Knox and Pastor Colbert Graham.
J. Lynn West
About New Albany Gazette
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series