Lady Bulldogs wrap up divison title
The Lady Bulldogs are on a hot streak entering the playoffs and have won 13 of their last 14 games including an 81-34 win over Lewisburg on Monday.
Led by 28 points from Jazmine Spears, New Albany finished district play a perfect 5-0, wrapping up the Region 2-4A title and the number one seed in next week’s division tournament at North Pontotoc.
“We won the division, and we’ve come a long way from where we were at this point last year,” Lady Bulldogs coach John Stroud said. “We made a goal to be in first place, and I think we’re getting better as a team. Jalessa Davis had 21 points, and she’s that extra scorer we’ve been lacking, so I look forward to the playoffs.”
Davis scored 11 points in the first quarter, pacing New Albany early in game. Spears had nine points at the break, and scored 12 of the Lady Bulldogs’ 22 third quarter points.
Erin Michael Carter finished with 12 points for the Lady Bulldogs (18-5, 5-0), and the regular season came to a close on Tuesday for New Albany, playing at Tupelo in a game that Stroud uses to help his team prepare for the postseason.
“We always like to play Tupelo for the last game of the season and use that to help us get ready for the playoffs,” he said. “This is a 6A school with good athletes, and hopefully this will help us for what we’ll see in the playoffs. It will be a good challenge for us.”
New Albany 61 Lewisburg 57 (boys)
The Bulldogs wrapped up the two seed for next week’s division tournament after coming from behind to beat the Patriots.
Trailing by as many as eight in the fourth quarter, Tyrone Vance gave New Albany the lead at 54-52 with under two minutes remaining. Lewisburg’s last lead came on a basket by Alex Arnold, and Eric Chaney followed that to put the Bulldogs in front and eventually pick up the win.
“We didn’t shoot the ball well, and defensively, we didn’t put enough pressure on them in the first half especially,” Bulldogs coach Brad Gray said. “In the second half, we just found a way to beat them, and at this point in the year, I’ll take that any day.”
Chaney led the Bulldogs with 16 points, followed by Jarel Lipsey with 13 points.
Finishing at 4-1 in division play, the Bulldogs will be the two seed in the Region 2-4A tournament at North Pontotoc next week. Rosa Fort will be the top seed.
New Albany closed the regular season at Tupelo on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...