West Union downs Jumpertown
By Dennis Clayton
West Union’s seniors were in the spotlight on Senior Night, but the fourth quarter spotlight in the boys’ game belonged to an underclassman, Chase Cooper, as West Union defeated Jumpertown 67-62. The Eagles held a narrow 48-44 lead after three quarters and then Cooper took over.
West Union scored 19 points in the fourth and Cooper had 11 of those points. Coach Timbo Henderson said of Cooper, “He came off the bench and had a big fourth quarter and did a great job tonight. He filled in the zone and knocked down some big buckets. He hit a big 3-pointer and kept us in the ballgame in the fourth quarter.
The Eagles took the lead in the opening quarter by the score of 18-12 behind the inside-outside scoring punch of Chase Taylor and Tyler Wooley. Jumpertown battled back in the second quarter and the teams went to half with Jumpertown leading 30-29.
After the intermission, the Eagles used the three-pointer to regain the lead as they hit three during their 19 point third quarter and led 48-44. The Eagles then sealed the contest on the solid fourth quarter play and Cooper’s deadly shooting. Coach Henderson said “Anytime you can win a close one like that, it tells you something about your team and will do a lot for them in the upcoming games. This will maybe give you some confidence that in these tight games, we can execute and pull these games out. The game was closer than we wanted it to be, but we battled all game and we played through it and didn’t give up.”
West Union placed four players in double figures and were led by senior Chase Taylor’s 22 points, Tyler Wooley had 14, senior R.J. Coleman added 11 and Chase Cooper 11 points.
West Union won the girls contest 54-41 as the Lady Eagles bolted to a 30-16 lead by the half. Senior Hannah McQuary led the Lady Eagles in scoring with 13, Gracen Conlee had 12, and Samantha Bridges chipped in 10.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...