The announcement last week that Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County plans a major expansion is good news for our community.
It signifies Baptist’s ongoing commitment to its hospital here and to improving health care for New Albany and the surrounding area.
Baptist announced that it plans a $12 million addition on the back side of the hospital that will provide an all-new emergency room with triple the number of exam rooms and two full-fledged trauma rooms.
The new emergency-room addition will be built to blend in with the hospital’s current red-brick look and will front onto Oxford Road, with its own parking area. To make way for it, the medical office of Dr. Harvey Mason and the hospital’s education building will be relocated.
Walter Grace, hospital administrator, said several factors led to the plan to expand, including the hope to speed up the wait times for emergency room patients. The current small emergency room treats about 25,000 patients a year.
Although the hospital has undergone several renovation projects, including the women’s center in 2008, the planned expansion is the first major change in its footprint since a new bed tower was added in 1993.
The hospital joined the Baptist hospital family in 1987. It originally opened in 1966 as Union County General Hospital.
We’re excited about the continued growth at Baptist. We have said many times how fortunate we are to have a non-profit hospital in the community focused on health care, rather than a private facility focused on profits.
We’re proud of our hospital and its commitment to improving our health.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...