Area girls’ teams fall in first round
The three remaining girls teams in Union County saw its season come to an end on Monday, falling in the first round of the north half playoffs.
The outstanding career of New Albany’s Jazmine Spears came to an end after a heart breaking 61-60 loss at Greenwood.
Spears led the Lady Bulldogs with 29 points, 20 rebounds, and did so despite picking up her fourth personal foul late in the second quarter.
“They were a very experienced team with five senior starters; just an overall good team,” New Albany coach John Stroud said. “We built a big lead, but they put a full-court man to man press on us, and we couldn’t handle that pressure.”
Stroud emphasized the success of this season, as his team finished at 19-8, winning the regular season division title as well as the Union County Championship as well as the end of Spears’ career with the Lady Bulldogs.
“It was a good season, and as far as for Jazmine, we all knew her career had to end somewhere,” he said. “It was a typical Jazmine performance with her 20 rebounds and 29 points, but Greenwood had three girls her size that matched up well with her. She had to adjust to that.”
East Union traveled to S.V. Marshall as the fourth seed from Region 1-2A. The Lady Urchins found itself up by as many as 10 in the second half before falling, 60-58.
S.V. Marshall led early in the game, 15-11, after the first and again led at the half, 29-26. The Lady Urchins took the lead in the third, and held a three-point advantage, 41-38, at the end of the quarter.
East Union was ahead, 56-54, with less than a minute remaining, but S.V. Marshall out scored the Lady Urchins, 6-2, in the final minute for the win.
Rounding out Union County’s coverage was Ingomar, who fell, 66-44, at Coffeeville.
The Lady Falcons were within eight points after the first quarter, 19-11, but were out scored by Coffeeville, 23-8, in the second quarter, giving the distance needed for the Lady Pirates to advance to the next round.
Ingomar’s season ends with an 18-17 record.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series