The New Albany Schools Board of Trustees has taken a big step forward in modernizing the energy-consuming equipment in its schools.
The board, at the recommendation of Superintendent Jackie Ford, has voted to spend $2.8 million to make improvements at the elementary, middle and high schools.
Much of the work involves replacement of much of the heating and cooling equipment at New Albany Middle School and New Albany High School. Both schools are using old inefficient systems that were in need of modernization or replacement.
Also involved is replacement of much of the lighting in the schools, installation of automated temperature monitors in food storage units in cafeterias and installation of 147 new thermostats throughout the schools.
The school district currently spends nearly $450,000 a year on utilities and that number is expected to go down significantly with the new equipment.
The district hired Schneider Electric of Palatine, Ill., to conduct an energy audit at the schools and determine a minimum amount that could be saved over the next 15 years with the new equipment. The good news is that the number if $1.9 million.
Piece-meal fixes of worn-out equipment would have been expensive and not have achieved the savings.
We think doing an overhaul of the entire system was a smart move on the part of the district.
Ford and the board have done the right thing for our taxpayers and our children.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...