The New Albany Schools Board of Trustees has taken a big step forward in modernizing the energy-consuming equipment in its schools.
The board, at the recommendation of Superintendent Jackie Ford, has voted to spend $2.8 million to make improvements at the elementary, middle and high schools.
Much of the work involves replacement of much of the heating and cooling equipment at New Albany Middle School and New Albany High School. Both schools are using old inefficient systems that were in need of modernization or replacement.
Also involved is replacement of much of the lighting in the schools, installation of automated temperature monitors in food storage units in cafeterias and installation of 147 new thermostats throughout the schools.
The school district currently spends nearly $450,000 a year on utilities and that number is expected to go down significantly with the new equipment.
The district hired Schneider Electric of Palatine, Ill., to conduct an energy audit at the schools and determine a minimum amount that could be saved over the next 15 years with the new equipment. The good news is that the number if $1.9 million.
Piece-meal fixes of worn-out equipment would have been expensive and not have achieved the savings.
We think doing an overhaul of the entire system was a smart move on the part of the district.
Ford and the board have done the right thing for our taxpayers and our children.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series