East Union tops Eagles
East Union picked up its second win in a row on Monday night, defeating county rival West Union, 16-0, on the road.
After dropping three games last weekend, two against St. Paul Episcopal School out of Mobile, Ala., the Urchins took a 9-0 win over South Pontotoc at the Pontotoc Tournament on Saturday preceding Monday night’s win.
“Anytime you play a county rivalry, it’s big for our kids,” East Union head coach Chris Basil said. “We’ve been playing some good competition, and we needed a good win like this tonight.”
The Urchins opened the game with a six-run first inning, capped by a two-run triple by Cody Bo Dillard. Tyler Hutcheson also drove in a run off of a double later in the inning.
Austin Sanders extended that lead in the second, plating Austin Basil with his two-run home run. The Urchins would later score on extra base hits from Jacob Elder in the fourth and Basil and Sanders in the fifth inning.
Basil, Sanders and Trey Barkley each had two hits to lead East Union’s (3-4) offense. Meanwhile, Hutcheson allowed only one hit for the Eagles’ offense in the win.
East Union will next play in a double header on Saturday, traveling to Saltillo for a 1 p.m. contest, followed by a 5 p.m. game at home against Potts Camp.
West Union has road games at Vardaman on Friday and at Hickory Flat on Saturday.
Also from Monday night, Ingomar picked up an 11-0 road win at Walnut, capped by a grand slam from Tyler Dowdy, while Myrtle defeated Falkner, 7-6, led by a two-hit performance from both Taylor Hogue and Ben Ausburn. Myrtle was scheduled to play at Hickory Flat on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series