East Union tops Eagles
East Union picked up its second win in a row on Monday night, defeating county rival West Union, 16-0, on the road.
After dropping three games last weekend, two against St. Paul Episcopal School out of Mobile, Ala., the Urchins took a 9-0 win over South Pontotoc at the Pontotoc Tournament on Saturday preceding Monday night’s win.
“Anytime you play a county rivalry, it’s big for our kids,” East Union head coach Chris Basil said. “We’ve been playing some good competition, and we needed a good win like this tonight.”
The Urchins opened the game with a six-run first inning, capped by a two-run triple by Cody Bo Dillard. Tyler Hutcheson also drove in a run off of a double later in the inning.
Austin Sanders extended that lead in the second, plating Austin Basil with his two-run home run. The Urchins would later score on extra base hits from Jacob Elder in the fourth and Basil and Sanders in the fifth inning.
Basil, Sanders and Trey Barkley each had two hits to lead East Union’s (3-4) offense. Meanwhile, Hutcheson allowed only one hit for the Eagles’ offense in the win.
East Union will next play in a double header on Saturday, traveling to Saltillo for a 1 p.m. contest, followed by a 5 p.m. game at home against Potts Camp.
West Union has road games at Vardaman on Friday and at Hickory Flat on Saturday.
Also from Monday night, Ingomar picked up an 11-0 road win at Walnut, capped by a grand slam from Tyler Dowdy, while Myrtle defeated Falkner, 7-6, led by a two-hit performance from both Taylor Hogue and Ben Ausburn. Myrtle was scheduled to play at Hickory Flat on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday