East Union tops Eagles
East Union picked up its second win in a row on Monday night, defeating county rival West Union, 16-0, on the road.
After dropping three games last weekend, two against St. Paul Episcopal School out of Mobile, Ala., the Urchins took a 9-0 win over South Pontotoc at the Pontotoc Tournament on Saturday preceding Monday night’s win.
“Anytime you play a county rivalry, it’s big for our kids,” East Union head coach Chris Basil said. “We’ve been playing some good competition, and we needed a good win like this tonight.”
The Urchins opened the game with a six-run first inning, capped by a two-run triple by Cody Bo Dillard. Tyler Hutcheson also drove in a run off of a double later in the inning.
Austin Sanders extended that lead in the second, plating Austin Basil with his two-run home run. The Urchins would later score on extra base hits from Jacob Elder in the fourth and Basil and Sanders in the fifth inning.
Basil, Sanders and Trey Barkley each had two hits to lead East Union’s (3-4) offense. Meanwhile, Hutcheson allowed only one hit for the Eagles’ offense in the win.
East Union will next play in a double header on Saturday, traveling to Saltillo for a 1 p.m. contest, followed by a 5 p.m. game at home against Potts Camp.
West Union has road games at Vardaman on Friday and at Hickory Flat on Saturday.
Also from Monday night, Ingomar picked up an 11-0 road win at Walnut, capped by a grand slam from Tyler Dowdy, while Myrtle defeated Falkner, 7-6, led by a two-hit performance from both Taylor Hogue and Ben Ausburn. Myrtle was scheduled to play at Hickory Flat on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Ollie Otter teaches kids to buckle up September 27, 2016
- Supervisors try again on bridge contract September 27, 2016
- Main Street drainage work delayed September 27, 2016
- NAES students study Constitution September 27, 2016
- Tell us what you want the news to be September 27, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...