Turn clocks ahead Sunday
Daylight Saving Time takes effect at 2 a.m. this Sunday, March 10.
Everyone is reminded to set their clocks ahead one hour before going to bed Saturday night, for instance, from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.
The hour of sleep lost will be regained when Daylight Saving Time ends Nov. 3.
For those who have trouble remembering which direction to adjust their clocks there are the familiar sayings, “spring forward, fall back” or “spring ahead, fall behind.”
Daylight Saving Time is generally considered a way to make better use of available daylight during summer, when days are longer anyway.
DST can be confusing for travelers. Not all countries observe it – in fact, not all U.S. states; Arizona does not change to Daylight Saving Time. If you travel to the southern hemisphere, many countries that observe DST have it begin when ours ends and vice-versa.
The United States extended Daylight Saving Time in 2007, moving the beginning from the first Sunday in April to the second Sunday in March, and the conclusion from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November.
Many people have proposed various forms of Daylight Saving Time over the years but Benjamin Franklin is usually credited with originating the idea in 1784, but DST didn’t get serious attention until about 1900.
The U.S. used DST during part of World War I and from February 1942 to September 1945 we have continuous Daylight Saving Time, referred to as “War Time.”
Whether Daylight Saving Time is beneficial overall still draws mixed opinions.
Some say it saves energy, promotes outdoor activities, is good for health and reduces crime and accidents. Others argue it doesn’t really save energy, is psychologically disruptive and hurts sun-regulated industries such as farming.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...