Violence and women
President Obama signed Thursday the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which was originally passed in 1994 under the leadership of then Sen. Joe Biden.
The law has been widely touted as effective in increasing government prosecution and conviction rates in crimes of violence against women.
Among other things it created a federal rape shield law to prevent offenders from using victims’ past conduct against them, mandated that victims not have to pay for rape exams and provided training for hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers, prosecutors, judges, and personnel each year.
The reauthorization also closed a loophole in the law that left many Native American women without the protection afforded to others, according to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.
Here in Mississippi, the law results in about $5 million a year for several programs to deal with rape and other forms of domestic violence.
The law enjoyed strong bi-partisan support, as it should have. Mississippi’s two senators, Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker voted for it. So did Representatives Bennie Thompson and Gregg Harper.
But our own congressman, Rep. Alan Nunnelee joined Rep. Steven Palazzo in voting against it. That is troubling to us and should be troubling to everyone in this congressional district.
Nunnelee seems to be increasingly on the fringe of responsible government, even within his own political party. It’s not the place to be.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series