New Albany High prospective chefs compete at state invitational
The New Albany High School Culinary Arts Team recently participated in the Mississippi Restaurant Association Education Foundation’s 2013 MS ProStart Invitational at the Old Capitol Inn in Jackson. Teams from throughout the state of Mississippi travel to Jackson to compete in this event which is comparable to the Top Chef program on television. The team competed in knife skills, and completing an appetizer, entree, and dessert in one hour on two open flame burners.
The menu for the competition included: Appetizer – Spicy Corn Chowder; Entree – Filet Mignon stuffed with blue cheese and spinach served with fresh haricot verts (French Green Bean) sauteed with fresh lemon juice and herb potatoes; Dessert – Strawberry Cream Cheese Crepes. Prepared products are not allowed in the competition so all of the food was made with fresh ingredients.
The students are also graded on safety, sanitation, flavor, plate presentation, communication with judges and team members, skills, food cost and menu price for each individual ingredient, and their uniforms/appearance.
The NAHS Culinary Team included: Kyle Medlin, Sam Westmoreland, Adrian Hill, and Jessye Staten. Instructor is Anita Alef. The students are awarded scholarships for the teams that place in the top three spots. The NAHS Culinary Arts Team placed third with each student receiving up to $3000.00 in scholarship money.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...