Severe weather season is here again. It’s the time when we start paying more attention to the weather forecast, and worrying about whether there are tornado watches or tornado warnings for our areas.
We have a couple of suggestions for you to help make sure that you are provided the latest weather information in case of emergency.
First, we suggest you sign up for the code RED system if you have not already done so. More than a year ago Union County adopted this plan that provides sort of a reverse 911 calling system. Instead of us calling 911 in case of emergency, the system calls us. The system is available to residents of Union County under an agreement between the Union County Board of Supervisors and the Three Rivers Planning and Development District.
The system will call land-line telephone numbers, cell phone numbers and send text messages and e-mails. There is no limit to the number of phone numbers that can be dialed. And you can limit the messages to tornados or expand it to include severe thunderstorms or other emergencies.
We think it’s a great system, and it’s free. You have to sign up online or have some one do it for you. The online address is trpdd.com/codered/. Then click on Union County.
A second suggestion, in case you want a double warning or you are wary of the automated calling system, is a weather radio. They are programmable and are not very expensive. They are trustworthy as long as you remember to keep fresh batteries in them.
Take precautions now. Being savvy about the weather is important.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- New Furniture Academy will give workers head start toward jobs, better pay January 18, 2017
- The Playhouse January 19, 2017
- Lady Bulldogs shutout Caledonia in playoff opener January 24, 2017
- Robertson’s Lady Challenge celebrates 20th annual tournament January 24, 2017
- Falcons fall in closing seconds to Bearcats January 24, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...