Protecting the hens
It’s a case of putting a fox in the henhouse.
Pardon us for starting with a trite expression, but it fits the situation perfectly. Monday House Speaker Phillip Gunn, a Republican from Clinton announced he is appointing Joel Bomgar to the state Board of Education.
What’s wrong with that, you ask? Plenty. Bomgar of Ridgeland is head of Better Education for Mississippi, a group of Republican business leaders pushing for more charter schools.
Bomgar has no experience with public schools, not even as a student. He was home-schooled.
Bomgar, 33, heads Bomgar Corp., which offers computer support to companies, governments and universities. He and his company gave $10,000 to Republican candidates, mostly for the state House of Representatives, in the 2011 state election, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics.
Perhaps Bomgar would make a good choice for the proposed new board to authorize and oversee charter schools, if the legislation is approved creating it. But, in our opinion, he is a poor choice for helping lead our public school system.
We think a state Board of Education member should be a champion of our public schools and of pushing for money to improve them.
He or she should be relentless in opposition to Republican-led attempts to dilute our public schools with competing charter schools, private schools and home schools.
Bomgar is not that person.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series