State Sen. Nickey Browning of Pontotoc has become the latest Mississippi legislator to switch political parties.
The announcement that Browning would become a Republican was made Wednesday in a short statement from Republican Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves.
Browning, whose district includes Union County, has been elected five times to the Senate as a Democrat.
We don’t think much of what Browning has done. We don’t care if Browning runs as a Democrat or Republican, but once elected we think a politician owes it to the voters who elected him or her to stick with the party that they chose to appear on the ballot with.
Browning, of course, is not the only person locally to do this. Two years ago state Rep. Margaret Ellis Rogers switched to the Republican Party in the middle of her term. We didn’t think much of that either.
Because of redistricting, Browning will be running for re-election in a re-jiggered district that includes incumbent Democratic Sen. Bill Stone of Ashland. Browning says that is not the reason he made the switch now.
Whatever the reason, we think this flip-flopping in the middle of an elected term is tacky. And to have the announcement come from the lieutenant governor in Jackson and not from Browning making the rounds in his district to let voters know in advance is bad form.
Neither Browning nor Rogers handled this the right way.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...