Urchins shut out New Site
East Union improved to 6-1 in division play, shutting out New Site, 6-0, on Tuesday.
Behind the efforts of Austin Sanders on the mound, the senior held the Royals to five hits and had five strikeouts in the win.
The Urchins took a 2-0 lead in the second inning, beginning with Alex Boland bringing in Tyler Hutcheson on a two out double. Jacob Elder followed Boland’s hit with a single that plated Boland before he was called out at second base to end the frame.
East Union added four runs in the third inning, beginning with an RBI single from Dustin Pratt that plated Trey Barkley, who reached on a single to open the inning. A New Site error brought in the next East Union run, and Austin Basil and Hutcheson each brought in runs in the frame.
Hutcheson, Pratt and Boland each had two hits to lead East Union (12-9, 6-1) in the win.
The Urchins will travel to New Site tonight for the second game in this division match-up.
East Union’s division record has the team currently placed behind Baldwyn, who is currently 6-0. The two teams will face off next week, beginning with a Tuesday match-up at Baldwyn.
Before the Urchins travel to Baldwyn on Tuesday, they will play at Tupelo on Saturday, beginning at 1 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...