Bulldogs sweep Pontotoc, advance to play Kosciusko
The Bulldogs fought from behind to take its first round series against Pontotoc on Friday.
After defeating the Warriors, 7-3, on Thursday, New Albany found itself down the entire game after a solo home run by Trey Henry in the second inning gave Pontotoc the 1-0 lead.
In the seventh, Grant Hogue and Jimmy Baldon reached base on singles, and with two outs, Jonah Zahller drove in the two runs to take the lead, 2-1. Ben Foster pitched the complete game for the Bulldogs and shut down the Warriors in the bottom of the seventh to earn the sweep.
In Thursday’s game at home, the Warriors took the early 1-0 lead in the third on a Bulldog error, but Foster tied the game with an RBI double. The Bulldogs took the lead in the fourth inning, loading the bases and scoring the go-ahead run on a wild pitch.
Leading 2-1 in the bottom of the sixth, the Bulldogs added five runs off one hit and four Pontotoc errors to lead 7-1 and held the Warriors to only two hits in the top of the seventh to take the 1-0 series lead.
Next for the Bulldogs is a second round match up with Kosciusko. That series will take place May 2-4.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...