East Union sweeps Potts Camp, advances to second round
East Union advanced out of this weekend’s opening round of the 2A north half playoffs with a sweep of Potts Camp.
After defeating the Cardinals, 9-3, on the road Thursday, the Urchins swept the series with an 11-1 win in six innings at home on Friday night.
“Potts Camp is a tremendous ball club, and they have three kids who could play for anyone,” East Union head coach Chris Basil said. “I thought our kids responded well and swung the bats, doing what they needed to do to be successful.”
Potts Camp had an opportunity to do damage in the second inning, loading the bases with no outs for Wesley Brown. Senior pitcher Cody Bo Dillard proceeded to strikeout the next three batters to get out of the inning.
“It seems like in every game, we have one of those innings, and Cody Bo always comes out and does what he has to do to get us through that inning,” Basil said. “He’s a tremendous competitor, and things like that, pressure, doesn’t bother him.”
In the Urchins’ half of the second, bases were loaded with one out, and Austin Basil was walked to bring in the game’s first run. A Cardinal error and an RBI single from Trey Barkley made it 4-0, preceding a two-run home run by Dustin Pratt. The final run of the frame came off of an RBI single by Tray Davis, giving the Urchins a 7-0 lead.
Potts Camp scored its lone run in the fifth, loading the bases for Joshua Bonds, who brought in the run. The Urchins added four runs in the bottom of the sixth to advance to the second round.
Dillard led the Urchins’ offense with three hits, while Barkley, Davis and Jacob Elder each had two hits.
Next for the Urchins is a second round match up with Riverside, the division winner from Region 4-2A.
“Personally, I think they’re one of the best 2A teams around, and like us, they didn’t lose anyone from last year,” Basil said of Riverside. “He has a pitcher he didn’t have last year, a tremendous left-hander that has signed division one baseball, so we have our work cut out for us. They have a tremendous baseball team.”
The second round is scheduled next Thursday-Saturday, May 2-4.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...