Celebrating success in archery
Archery season came to an end last week with the championships, run by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks.
With the sport growing throughout the state, more schools are participating each year, but as of right now, this is an activity that does not have a sanctioned state championship by the Mississippi High School Activities Association.
This last competition, called the Archery in Mississippi Schools (AIMS) State Championship, is the state finals for any team with a qualifying score, and in this year’s match, Myrtle took top honors in 1A, while East Union finished second to Hatley in 2A.
This is a huge accomplishment for Myrtle, which started its archery program just last season. Like East Union powerlifting, the team has taken huge strides in a short amount of time, and they should be commended for what they’ve accomplished this season.
Myrtle edged Dexter by 11 points to take the title, 3094-3083. There were other North Mississippi schools which finished in the top 10, including Tremont (third), Pine Grove (fifth), Blue Mountain (sixth) and H.W. Byers (10th).
In 2A, Hatley defeated East Union by 56 points, 3146-3090. Potts Camp finished in third behind East Union, rounding out North Mississippi schools in the top five.
This is the first year that the championships have been broken down into separate classes, again showing the tremendous growth of the sport since it began a few years ago.
In other classes, South Pontotoc finished third in 3A, Amory second in 4A, Saltillo first in 5A and Tupelo third in 6A.
Archery is a sport growing in popularity among schools in the state, and is sure to grow even more in the coming years. Congratulations to Myrtle and East Union.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...