Help local retailers
Our local businesses, our cities, our schools and our state are being hurt because many online businesses do not collect sales tax on purchases.
Under current federal law, states can only require businesses to collect sales taxes if the business has a physical presence in the state. In other words, our local retailers collect sales tax, but entities from outside the state do not.
This creates an unfair advantage for online businesses, which take money from the local economy but do nothing to help support local and state services.
Under state law, each individual is supposed to report all online purchases and pay the sales tax due as part of the state income tax. But, in reality, hardly anyone does.
Fortunately, legislation is pending in Congress to level the playing field for our local businesses by requiring internet retailers to collect sales taxes for online purchases and return them to the state where the shopper lives.
It is supported by the National Retail Federation and several responsible online retailers, such as Amazon.
The bill is expected to pass the Senate May 6 and then move on to the House where it faces more opposition.
Some representatives claim it is a tax increase. It isn’t. Taxes have always been due; they just aren’t being collected.
Our local retailers should not be at a disadvantage to online businesses from elsewhere. Our member of the House, Rep. Alan Nunnelee, and the rest of the Mississippi delegation should support this bill.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series