Lady Eagles sweep Jumpertown
The Lady Eagles had to wait almost a week and a half to play its first round playoff series against Jumpertown, but that did not slow them down, as they swept the series, capped by an 11-1 win at home on Tuesday.
“We were a little rusty, to say the least,” West Union coach Lisa Bogue said. “Bottom line is, they came out, and they’ve been working hard all year, and they came out and did their jobs. I’m proud of them.”
West Union took a 1-0 lead in the series after winning at Jumpertown, 7-1, on Monday, but it was the visiting Lady Cardinals that struck first in the opening inning of game two, going ahead, 1-0.
Back-to-back hits from Julianna Garner and Gina Beth Conlee placed runners on the corners, and Hannah McQuary tied the game with her RBI single, plating Garner.
The Lady Eagles took the lead in the second inning after Jesslyn Brewer had a lead off single, and two Lady Cardinal errors placed her on third. Callie Baggett plated Brewer, and Baggett later scored on an RBI single from Garner, making it, 3-1.
West Union scored seven runs in the third off eight hits. Both Gracen Conlee and Jodie McMillin had two hits in the frame, as the Lady Eagles batted around the order.
Ahead 10-1 in the fifth, West Union closed out the game, loading the bases and scoring the final run on an error.
Gracen Conlee, Gina Beth Conlee and Garner each had three hits to lead West Union, which will open its next series at Vardaman on Thursday.
“It will be a tough series, because they put us out last year, Bogue said of Vardaman. “We’ve refocused, and we’re revamped for this series, and we’re going to try to be ready.”
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...