Former high school standouts make impact in college
It has been a great week for former Union County standouts, as they’ve achieved many accomplishments at the collegiate level.
The top two stories in today’s paper highlight what the current high school athletes are doing, including Molly Hale’s individual title in girls’ golf. Often falling off the radar are the athletes that have graduated and moved on, most playing at Northeast and a couple at Itawamba Community College.
In the last week, former West Union pitcher Danielle Taylor broke the record for all-time saves for the Lady Indians. The honor came as ICC won its second consecutive North Division title, and it was also sophomore day for Taylor.
Over at Northeast, several former athletes from the county have achieved success for the Tigers and Lady Tigers.
In the last week, Northeast’s baseball team won the North Division title. Former New Albany/Union County athletes on that team include New Albany’s Easton Hall, Riley Alef, Drew Wray and Mason Maxey, along with Ingomar’s Tanner McCollum.
The Lady Tigers’ softball team also secured a spot in the MACJC state tournament last Friday, celebrating senior day festivities, which included New Albany’s Ellen Tarrant. Also playing for the Lady Tigers this season is former Myrtle standout Kiana Judon.
I’ve pulled a lot of press releases from both Northeast and ICC recently, because it is important to make sure the athletes playing there receive the recognition they deserve. They’re setting a great example for today’s kids and making all of us back in Union County very proud.
I’ll continue to run stories from both schools, as both enter the postseason. Congratulations to all of the former Union County standouts on their accomplishments this season!
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...