New museum mascot looking for a name
There is a new dinosaur in town, and it’s out in front of the Union County Heritage Museum on Cleveland Street. The almost-seven-foot-tall critter is part of a new look at the museum and is a gift of the Museum Guild. And this dinosaur needs a name.
There is a contest underway to name the new dinosaur, which is placed out front on the pedestal that will hold the new museum sign. Cornelius Law Firm of New Albany has donated $100 to award to the person who comes up with the winning name.
Entry boxes are at the museum and at Mimi’s Book Store on Bankhead and BNA Bank. So put on your thinking caps and come up with a name for the dinosaur, and be sure to add your contact information.
The creation is the artwork of metal artist Ralph Barnes of Corinth who made the skeletal image from the metal scrap heap. Barnes, who has other work on exhibit at the Folk Art & Friendly People Exhibit enjoys piecing together bits and piece of discarded metal to come up with critters from his imagination.
While dinosaurs roamed this area some 65 million years ago, based on finds in the Blue Springs area, there are now dinosaurs on the landscape again. Go by the museum and see at 114 Cleveland St. in New Albany. The museum is open 9 – 4 Tuesday through Friday and 10 – 3 on Saturday. For more information call the museum at 662-538-0014.
About New Albany Gazette
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...