New museum mascot looking for a name
There is a new dinosaur in town, and it’s out in front of the Union County Heritage Museum on Cleveland Street. The almost-seven-foot-tall critter is part of a new look at the museum and is a gift of the Museum Guild. And this dinosaur needs a name.
There is a contest underway to name the new dinosaur, which is placed out front on the pedestal that will hold the new museum sign. Cornelius Law Firm of New Albany has donated $100 to award to the person who comes up with the winning name.
Entry boxes are at the museum and at Mimi’s Book Store on Bankhead and BNA Bank. So put on your thinking caps and come up with a name for the dinosaur, and be sure to add your contact information.
The creation is the artwork of metal artist Ralph Barnes of Corinth who made the skeletal image from the metal scrap heap. Barnes, who has other work on exhibit at the Folk Art & Friendly People Exhibit enjoys piecing together bits and piece of discarded metal to come up with critters from his imagination.
While dinosaurs roamed this area some 65 million years ago, based on finds in the Blue Springs area, there are now dinosaurs on the landscape again. Go by the museum and see at 114 Cleveland St. in New Albany. The museum is open 9 – 4 Tuesday through Friday and 10 – 3 on Saturday. For more information call the museum at 662-538-0014.
About New Albany Gazette
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...