One board spot left
The election of Kevin Dale White to the New Albany Board of Aldermen leaves only one of the five spots to be decided.
In Ward 4, first-term incumbent Will Tucker faces a challenge from businessman Terry Medlin. That race will be tallied in the general election June 4.
The rest were decided in the Democratic primary. Scott Dunnam, alderman-at-large, and Johnny Anderson, Ward 2 alderman, were re-elected without opposition. In Ward 1, incumbent Jeff Olsen easily turned back a challenge from Daniel Frain, a car salesman.
The Ward 3 race was particularly interesting because there was a wide-open field with Alderman Tommie Beasley deciding to retire from the board. Five candidates battled in the primary and Kevin Dale White and Larry Dykes survived for a runoff.
Last week White was elected in the runoff. In a discussion with the Gazette, White, a New Albany native, described himself as a progressive who wants to see the city continue to move forward.
He said he favors the city hiring a grant writer to help obtain more federal funding for projects, and is interested in improving the condition of the city water system, city streets and adding more street lighting. He supports recruiting more restaurants and more businesses. He also said he plans to support construction of a community swimming pool.
We found his views moderate and progressive. We congratulate him on his win and welcome him to the board.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...