Notes on the College World Series
The 2013 College World Series has been exciting and also a bit surprising so far as we have seen the three top teams of Oregon State, LSU, and North Carolina fall into the loser’s bracket after game one. At this writing, LSU and North Carolina are due to face each other in an elimination game, so someone is going home today.
Whether you are a fan of Mississippi State or not, you have to admit they have played pretty well as of late. Both wins in the CWS were come from behind wins in the late innings, the eighth to be exact. Once the Bulldogs get a lead in the eighth, so far this year, they have not relinquished it as they are 45-0 now with the win last night.
The major irony of the Bulldogs success has not been their starting pitching, but rather their middle relief corps. They put another notch in their belt with the win over Indiana to up their record for the middle relievers to 33-5. That is something that may not be duplicated for a long time, maybe never. I am middle-aged and I do not ever remember any team having their middle men on the mound as the key stoppers and also the leading the team in wins.
What impresses me most about the Bulldogs is their demeanor on and off the field. They seem to be having a great time and enjoying the moment. They have the “Bench Mob” made up of reserves and subs that keeps the team loose, as well as cheering and encouraging the starters on the field. Not everyone gets to play, but it seems everyone has a role and enjoys that role to the fullest.
I really hope the Bulldogs take the win on Friday to make the best of three finals for the CWS and would love to see them win it all. When you get to this point, it doesn’t matter what your record was during the regular season, what matters is if you’re hot right now and if your pitching can hold up. The Bulldogs have been hot and their pitching has been nothing short of phenomenal. It would be great to see a National Championship trophy making its home at one of our universities, but should it not happen, State has had a great run and a great year.
Going back to the team mentality, I could put that to use for myself as well. I may not be one of the main players in my community, church, or workplace, but I have a role to play and I need to assume that role. As I assume my role, I need to be cheering on and encouraging my fellow workers and team. I need to use my position to help people any way that I can. Good lesson from the Bulldogs and Good Luck to the Bulldogs! Go Dawgs!
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...