Myrtle coach Orman to lead Ripley’s girls
Ripley High School has chosen Cliff Ormon to be their next girls basketball coach. Ripley principal Jeff Palmer confirmed the hiring Thursday afternoon. The move must be approved by the South Tippah School Board.
Ormon returns to Tippah County where he coached the Pine Grove Lady Panthers for eight seasons (2004-12) before spending the last year as varsity boys and girls coach at Myrtle. Ormon replaces Katie Bates, who is now at Pine Grove.
“Coach Ormon has proven himself as a quality head coach, and we felt like he was the best choice to keep this program going in the right direction,” said Palmer.
Ormon takes over a Lady Tiger program fresh off four consecutive trips to the MHSAA State Tournament and two years removed from a Class 3A state title. They return a nucleus of players that helped post a 30-win season in 2012-13, as the school transitions to Class 4A.
Bates, the 2013 Daily Journal Coach of the Year, posted a 142-49 record and won three North Half titles in six seasons.
“We have a lot of the same philosophies. We’re aggressive and we want our teams to play hard tough basketball,” said Ormon. “For the last four years, this program would rival any program in the state and we’re going to try and continue on that same path.”
Ormon guided the Pine Grove Lady Panthers to two Division 1-1A titles (2008, 2009) with the team’s first trip to the state tourney in 2008 . The 1997 Hickory Flat graduate and Mississippi State alum began his coaching career at Weir High School in 2003.
Kedrick Storey, Southern Sentinel
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series