Twenty years ago the vision of then Mayor Walter Johnson became a reality with the opening of the New Albany Sportsplex.
Through the years the sportsplex has attracted teams and their revenue-producing parents and friends from all over the South to play in what many regard as a showplace in the region.
The facilities, on Bratton Road on the south side of U.S. 78, were upgraded several times and eventually a spray park for children, pushed hard by Alderman Tommie Beasley, was added.
Then last year the park was expanded across the north side of the highway with the addition of tennis courts, soccer fields and a new pavilion housing restrooms and a concession area.
But none of this would have happened without the drive of Johnson, who literally begged, borrowed, and some say almost stole to get the materials and labor to build it. Johnson, who started working on the sportsplex project in 1990, helped dedicate the facility as one of his last official acts as mayor in 1993.
Today no one can even imagine our city without the sportsplex, now called BNA Bank Park. It has become a major factor in bringing people from out of town to our city, as well as providing first class facilities for our city recreational and high school sports programs.
More projects lie ahead: Finishing and lighting the soccer fields, adding more tennis courts, and revamping some of the existing fields. A community swimming pool also is under discussion.
As we celebrate 20 years of the sportsplex, we honor the vision of Johnson and others. May that vision continue as we move forward.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...