Since we find ourselves nearing the Fourth of July holiday, I thought it might be good to just look at a few things in a nutshell instead of one thing in the broader spectrum.
First of all, we proudly say congratulations to Lisa Bogue of West Union for being named the Coach of the Year by the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal. Coach Bogue and her Lady Eagles finished the year 25-8, winning the North Mississippi 1A championship and played in the state championship. The Lady Eagles were defeated by Nanih Waiya in the state 1A championship. Coach Bogue’s Lady Eagles have won six straight division championships and played in the state championship twice in the last three years.
Congratulations go out to Cody Bo Dillard of East Union for being named the 2013 Daily Journal Player of the Year. Dillard put up these numbers in garnering his award: .402 batting average, 2 HR, 30 RBI, 10 doubles, 1.42 ERA and 84 strikeouts. Cody Bo was also named First Team Class 2A All-State and Division 1-2A Player of the Year. Dillard has signed to play with Northeast Community College. Great year Cody Bo Dillard!
I also want to congratulate Bailey Bogue of West Union and Ben Foster of New Albany as they made All-Area in their respective sports. Bailey made the All-Area Softball team and had the following numbers on the year: .475 batting average, 40 RBI, 1HR, 11 doubles and 3 triples. Bailey was also named 1A All-State and was named the MHSAA 1A Hitter of the Year.
Ben Foster made All-Area in baseball and had .358 batting average, 14 RBI, 9 doubles, .531 on base pct., and a .469 slugging pct. Ben was named First Team Coaches 4A All-State and is a Northeast Community College signee.
We had many other athletes that made major contributions and had great seasons here in Union County. Thanks to all of you who worked hard and played your sport with passion and integrity.
We look forward to seeing many of our softball and baseball players hit the diamond next week in the Cotton States Leagues at BNA Bank Park. Come out and catch some games and support our local student/athletes.
A final note of congratulations to the City of New Albany and our Park Commission in hitting the 20 year anniversary for the Sportsplex/BNA Bank Park. I have been fortunate to have been a part of this from year one and it has been a tremendous asset to our community. My three sons played there, coached there, and officiated games in the Park. Two sons also spent many summers working with the crew from NAPC by mowing and doing grounds keeping. The Sportsplex/BNA Bank Park has been a tremendous blessing to my family and I want to say a big thank you to all those who involved now and those that have been involved in the past. Thanks for your dedication and hard work. We look forward to another twenty years of growth and expansion as we work together for our youth and their athletic programs.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...