Jets Defeat Thunder in Cotton States Softball
by Dennis Clayton
The Northeast Mississippi Jets used a huge eight run second to hand the Tupelo Thunder their first league loss in their 13-10 victory. The Jets sent 12 batters to the plate during the second inning scoring outburst as they collected six hits to take a 12- 2 lead after two innings.
The Thunder took an early 2-0 lead in the top half of the first as leadoff batter Bailey Oswalt of Amory and number three hitter, Callie Frazier of East Union scored. The Jets scored four runs in the bottom half of the first and had bases loaded when a strikeout ended the inning.
The Jets benefitted greatly from borrowed player Brittany Taylor (West Union) of the Bobcats as she went 3-4 and scored four runs. Also scoring multiple runs for the Jets were Jona Nicholson, Reagan Aldridge, and Kate Clark with two apiece. Oswalt and Frazier scored two runs apiece to lead the Thunder.
A late inning rally for the Thunder fell three runs short as they plated six runs in the top of the seventh, sending ten batters to the plate. Lauren Koon, Keely Chunn, and Quinlan Amos were other Union County players to score for the Thunder. Frazier struck out six for the Thunder.
Bobcats 10, Chicks 1
The Bay Springs Bobcats defeated the Pickwick Chicks in the second game of the day on Sunday 10-1. Jesslyn Brewer (West Union) led the Bobcats as she reached and scored in every at-bat, scoring four runs. Brewer singled, walked twice and was hit-by-pitch for the day’s efforts.
Brittany Taylor took the win for the Bobcats as she allowed one run, three hits, three walks and struck out eight. Taylor also had two hits and scored a run. Bailey Bogue (West Union) had a double for the Chicks.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series