Approve pool study
For three years in this space we’ve been suggesting that New Albany conduct a feasibility study on the cost and benefits of a public swimming pool.
Despite what we think is strong community support for a pool, we are no closer today to getting our children and our grandchildren a place to learn to swim and our families a wholesome spot for summer recreation.
The question is not whether we need a pool; that is clear to most everyone. Our small spray park is crowded with young children. The issue is whether the community can afford a year-round facility rather than a seasonal outdoor pool.
The board has approved issuing $1.25 million in bonds to pay for the expansion of BNA Bank Park on the north side of U.S. 78 (Interstate 22).
As we understand it, that will provide enough money to light at least one of the new soccer fields, and improve and light the parking lot next to the tennis courts.
Other projects at the complex also need to be completed. But none, in our mind, should delay moving ahead with a feasibility study for a pool.
Enough land is available to put the pool near the new soccer fields, well away from any of the flooding issues that exist near the current spray park.
We support teaching all children to swim as part of a public school curriculum. We need a public pool to do that.
We have tip-toed around the public pool issue for three years. It’s time for the Board of Aldermen to move ahead with a feasibility study.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...