Balancing the needs
Monday’s announcement that $1 million will be flowing from the education endowment fund created by Toyota to school districts in Union, Lee and Pontotoc counties is welcome news.
Doug Formby, Toyota Mississippi vice president and a member of the educational endowment fund’s advisory committee, made the announcement at the Magnolia Civic Center.
It is the “biggest endeavor we have made to put the money in the hands of those who need it most—teachers and students,” Formby said.
Eight districts in the three counties will share the money. They will submit specific grant requests by Aug. 15, and the money from the fund should be given to the districts sometime in September. The grants are a one-year pilot project.
Based on early projections, the New Albany Schools will receive about $113,000 and the Union County Schools more than $144,000 in the pilot project. Most of the districts are expected to request money for technology upgrades.
The endowment fund committee, which works under the Create Foundation umbrella, has had a challenging time balancing the desire to create the Wellspring Center for Professional Futures with the need to show that the educational endowment is making a difference at the individual school, teacher and student level.
We think the $1 million in grants, designed to fulfill specific requests in each district, shows the committee is on the right track in balancing the competing needs for the Toyota Educational Endowment Fund money.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...