By Martha Swindle
Sherman’s mayor and all five board of aldermen recently attended the Mississippi Municipal League’s 82nd Annual Conference at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum and Convention Center. “Strong Cities: Putting the Pieces Together” was this year’s theme, and the agenda featured educational programs that offered excellent training and information to all of the members. An estimated 3,000 municipal elected officials, municipal employees, state agency representatives, legislators, exhibitors and others attended this annual event.
One conference highlight included the 2013 Mississippi Hall of Fame. Two of Sherman’s aldermen were inducted during the July 17 awards luncheon. Both Todd McDonald and Dianne Jolly have served 20 years as aldermen for Sherman and were recognized for their longevity and dedicated service.
Don “Red” Moore was the guest speaker Sunday night, July 21, at Tri-County Baptist Church.
A “Growing Churches” conference for all church leaders, sponsored by the Mississippi Baptist Convention, will be held at Harrisburg Baptist Church Aug. 9 and 10. The conference begins at 6 p.m. Aug. 9 and ends Aug. 10 at noon. A sign-up sheet will be on the communion table at Sherman Baptist. All church and ministry leaders are encouraged to attend.
Once again, it is time to collect supplies for school. If you would like to donate supplies or give money, please see Mary Nell Beasley or Ann Adams. A list of supplies needed: backpacks, notebooks, pencils, pens, paper towels, Kleenex, crayons, colored pencils, glue, glue sticks, 2-inch 3-ring notebooks, dividers, hand sanitizer, black sharpie pens, 1 pkg. of highlighters, and loose leaf paper. Supplies need to be turned in by next Sunday, July 28.
About Lynn West
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...