Sunday wine, cocktail sales near
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has petitioned the state of Mississippi for permission to allow the sale of alcohol on Sundays.
In a called meeting held July 25, the board voted 3-1 to petition the Alcoholic Beverage Control division of the Mississippi Department of Revenue for the sale of liquor on Sundays.
Under state law, municipalities can petition ABC for permission to allow Sunday sales, but only for liquor by the drink at local restaurants that have state permits to sell it.
State law does not allow liquor stores to open on Sundays, nor does it allow restaurants to sell liquor by the bottle on that day.
According to board attorney Reagan Russell, the board is not required to hold any public hearings on the issue. When the state grants the board’s request, Sunday sales would immediately go into effect.
New Albany Mayor Tim Kent said liquor could be sold betweenthe hours of 1 p.m. and midnight, the same time period currently allowed for purchase of beer and light wine in New Albany, if the state approves the petition.
Alderman At-Large Scott Dunnam, Ward 1 Alderman Jeff Olson and Ward 3 Alderman Kevin White voted in favor of the measure, while Ward 2 Alderman Johnny Anderson voted against it.
Ward 4 Alderman Will Tucker was not in attendance of the meeting.
Olson said that, at some point, the board would have to discuss revisions of its ordinance to the Sunday sale of beer and light wine if the state approves the request.
To date, El Agave is the only restaurant with a permit to sell liqour in New Albany.
About Chris Elkins
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert