Baptist health fair
When it’s time for children to go back to school, it’s also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi.
We, of course, are talking about the annual Back to School Health Fair at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County.
More than 1,000 people, including as many as 500 children, are expected to turn out at the hospital from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17 for a free health check, dental check, vision screening and a variety of other activities.
In addition to the screenings, educational information will be available on topics such as internet safety, ATV and bicycle safety, bully prevent and a long list of other activities from face painting to inflatables.
Various emergency medical vehicles will be on display.
The hospital also will be offering free hotdogs, drinks and snacks. School-age children will receive a free backpack.
Nancy Kidd, director of marketing and physician relations at the hospital, said the goal of the fair is to catch early health problems, provide lots of information about nutrition and safety and have fun while doing it.
Many hospital and community volunteers are involved in the program, which is put together by Kidd and Crystal McBrayer from the hospital staff.
This free program is in its 24th year and is another example of how fortunate New Albany is to have a responsible, non-profit hospital in the community.
We appreciate Baptist’s ongoing commitment to a community children’s health fair.
About Chris Elkins
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...