Slow down for safety
School starts next Monday in both the New Albany and Union County schools and it’s time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving.
Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed is 25. And increasingly, we see drivers who are texting while driving, an unsafe practice at any speed.
Speeding is a particular problem on roads bordering our Union County Schools and also on Highway 15 near New Albany High School. The modernization of Highway 15 has added to the speeding problems on the highway.
Fortunately, the New Albany elementary and middle schools are located in areas where speeding immediately adjacent to the school is not much of a problem.
We would hope that a strong speed enforcement program will be undertaken, not only near our schools, but also in residential subdivision areas, to get everyone slowed down before we have a fatal accident.
Inexperience also is an issue as we will have lots of teenage drivers, many driving to school for the first time. We all need to do our part to help prevent accidents.
At this time of year, we also need a reminder about stopped school buses. It is unlawful to pass a stopped school bus from either direction while the bus has its red lights flashing. This is a particular problem in rural areas where children often have to cross a busy highway after getting off the bus.
All of us have a role in making sure our children have a safe year on their way to and from school.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...