Dreaming big pays off
New Albany has gotten a good lesson in what can happen when the community “dreams big.”
The new tennis facility at BNA Bank Park has been selected to receive one of the United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Facility awards for this year. The award will be presented Sept. 1 at a ceremony in New York City.
The awards committee considers a number of factors including the quality of the court area and surface, the quality of court enclosure and lighting, overall layout and adaptation to the site, accessories and amenities. The quality of programming, including tournaments for junior and adult players also is considered.
Persistence on the part of local tennis enthusiasts led to construction of the facility by the city. Ten courts were built, with plans for the eventual addition of six more.
First class facilities also allowed the city to recruit Bo Boman, one of the top tennis professionals in the southeast, to run programs and bring in tournaments that are benefiting the New Albany economy.
It’s a reminder that the sportsplex is one of our community’s valuable assets. Completing the expansion project, including the soccer fields, and adding a community swimming pool should be priorities going forward at BNS Bank Park.
Our community has benefited from “dreaming big.” We need to continue those dreams.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...