Dreaming big pays off
New Albany has gotten a good lesson in what can happen when the community “dreams big.”
The new tennis facility at BNA Bank Park has been selected to receive one of the United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Facility awards for this year. The award will be presented Sept. 1 at a ceremony in New York City.
The awards committee considers a number of factors including the quality of the court area and surface, the quality of court enclosure and lighting, overall layout and adaptation to the site, accessories and amenities. The quality of programming, including tournaments for junior and adult players also is considered.
Persistence on the part of local tennis enthusiasts led to construction of the facility by the city. Ten courts were built, with plans for the eventual addition of six more.
First class facilities also allowed the city to recruit Bo Boman, one of the top tennis professionals in the southeast, to run programs and bring in tournaments that are benefiting the New Albany economy.
It’s a reminder that the sportsplex is one of our community’s valuable assets. Completing the expansion project, including the soccer fields, and adding a community swimming pool should be priorities going forward at BNS Bank Park.
Our community has benefited from “dreaming big.” We need to continue those dreams.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...