Dreaming big pays off
New Albany has gotten a good lesson in what can happen when the community “dreams big.”
The new tennis facility at BNA Bank Park has been selected to receive one of the United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Facility awards for this year. The award will be presented Sept. 1 at a ceremony in New York City.
The awards committee considers a number of factors including the quality of the court area and surface, the quality of court enclosure and lighting, overall layout and adaptation to the site, accessories and amenities. The quality of programming, including tournaments for junior and adult players also is considered.
Persistence on the part of local tennis enthusiasts led to construction of the facility by the city. Ten courts were built, with plans for the eventual addition of six more.
First class facilities also allowed the city to recruit Bo Boman, one of the top tennis professionals in the southeast, to run programs and bring in tournaments that are benefiting the New Albany economy.
It’s a reminder that the sportsplex is one of our community’s valuable assets. Completing the expansion project, including the soccer fields, and adding a community swimming pool should be priorities going forward at BNS Bank Park.
Our community has benefited from “dreaming big.” We need to continue those dreams.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...