For us, fall comes early in New Albany. It comes with the first high school football game of the season.
That time is here as the bright lights of Kitchens Field will be on for the 7 o’clock game tonight as the New Albany Bulldogs face Water Valley.
And a couple of miles away the East Union Urchins open their inaugural season of division play with a 7 p.m. game with Houlka at BNA Bank Park in New Albany. East Union hopes to begin playing its games on its own field at the school next season.
For us, it’s not just about the football. It is football, of course, but it is a lot more than that. It’s about the band, the cheerleaders, the volunteers and the crowd.
But more than anything else, it’s about community. Look at the faces in the crowd at Kitchens Field tonight. Toddlers to senior citizens – African-American, white, Hispanic, Asian. More than anywhere else, it’s in our schools and at our school functions – including football – that our community really is one.
Tonight we celebrate football – and community. See you at the game.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...