For us, fall comes early in New Albany. It comes with the first high school football game of the season.
That time is here as the bright lights of Kitchens Field will be on for the 7 o’clock game tonight as the New Albany Bulldogs face Water Valley.
And a couple of miles away the East Union Urchins open their inaugural season of division play with a 7 p.m. game with Houlka at BNA Bank Park in New Albany. East Union hopes to begin playing its games on its own field at the school next season.
For us, it’s not just about the football. It is football, of course, but it is a lot more than that. It’s about the band, the cheerleaders, the volunteers and the crowd.
But more than anything else, it’s about community. Look at the faces in the crowd at Kitchens Field tonight. Toddlers to senior citizens – African-American, white, Hispanic, Asian. More than anywhere else, it’s in our schools and at our school functions – including football – that our community really is one.
Tonight we celebrate football – and community. See you at the game.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...