Urchins make statement in opener
For East Union, which won its opener with Houlka 40-6, it will be building on the win with a second week of success.
With a big win under their belts, the Urchins are looking to build a consistent season.
“The thing is that last year we would have a great week and then come out the following week and not play so well, so we are looking toward keeping a great effort and attitude on the field each time we enter a game,” Head Coach Scott Duley said.
The Urchins started with a poor drive to open the game, but after a defensive stand against Houlka the offense came out swinging to grab 520 all-purpose yards.
East Union also recovered two Houlka fumbles on defense.
Quarterback D.J. Armstrong completed a 43-yard pass to receiver Jacob Elder to put the Urchins up by 14 while Blake Spurill gained valuable yards on the Urchins second offensive drive to put the team across mid-field and lead to the first score of the night.
While Duley and his coaching staff are pleased with the effort on Friday, the team will focus on tackling and keeping the defensive play sound.
“We want to make sure that we are solid in that area, that kids are in position and ready to play. I’d also like to work on our passing game, and really opening up our offense to see what we can do with it,” Duley said.
East Union will travel to Potts Camp for its Friday game.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...