Hospital traffic flow
The construction of a new emergency room complex on the backside of Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County is bringing to the fore a significant problem: traffic flow.
The $12 million addition will have 22 exam rooms, two trauma rooms and two triage rooms. It also will mean one of the entrances to the hospital and an expanded parking lot will be accessed from Oxford Road.
The existing emergency room, with seven exam rooms, serves about 25,000 patients a year in its cramped quarters.
We expect that number to rise significantly when the new addition is completed.
As we see it, the traffic flow behind the hospital already is a problem and it’s going to get worse.
What we don’t see so far is any pro-active plan by the city to make it better.
Coulter Drive next to the Waffle House is too narrow for existing traffic and rounding the corner onto Oxford Road is a challenge in a small sedan. For an ambulance, it will be more of a challenge.
How will large trucks make deliveries to the hospital once the construction project is completed? They can’t come up Oxford Road from Bankhead because the bridge is rated for only 6,000 pounds. And even an experienced driver would find a major challenge in making the 90-degree right turn from Renasant Drive onto Oxford Road. The city’s nice ornamental street sign at the corner wouldn’t survive a month.
A plan to deal with the inadequacies of Coulter Drive and Oxford Road needs to be developed now.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...