‘Dawgs fall in fourth
The Bulldogs came up one play short of a win, falling 14-10 to Itawamba Agricultural High School on a last minute pass play.
Heading into week three of the season, New Albany sits at 0-2 on the season, though Head Coach Ron Price saw a marked improvement in his team between their first game and Friday’s contest.
“I can walk of the field tonight being disappointed that we lost, but I’m very proud that our team took a step in the right direction in being a competitive football team and competing at the 4A level,” Price said.
Eathan Rainey put the first points on the board for New Albany with a field goal in the final minutes of the first half, closing the 7-0 gap by Itawamba to 7-3.
Devin Wilson provided the offensive spark during the third quarter, charging down field to place the Bulldogs inside the Indians redzone. Two plays later, Bryce Collins scored his first rushing touchdown as a starting quarterback and led his team to a 10-7 advantage.
A 44-yard pass by the Indians in the fourth quarter, and an up the middle rush on the following play, gave Itawamba the lead at 14-10. The Bulldogs last drive, started with 32 seconds on the clock, ended suddenly with a fumbled catch on a pass being recovered by the Indians.
“The thing that makes me proud tonight is that our kids competed for 48 minutes…I told them on Sunday that for us to be competitive we’ve got to compete on every single play. This ballgame tonight came down to the last play of the game – and that’s all I can ask of my kids, to play hard and put ourselves in position to win. And they did that tonight,” Price said.
Turnovers and penalties cost the Bulldogs valuable yards and ended multiple drives prematurely, though NAHS did finish the game with 5 sacks on defense.
The team was held to 95 rushing yards during the game, en route to 142 all purpose yards.
Quarterback Bryce Collins completed 7 of 14 pass attempts, good for 47 yards.
The Bulldogs will return to Kitchens Field on Friday, playing host to the Pontotoc Warriors.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...