State Auditor’s office demands Golding repay over $398,000
State Auditor Stacey Pickering announced Thursday afternoon that special agents served a demand to former Union County coroner, Mark Golding, in the amount of $398,418.83.
The Auditor’s Office began an investigation on Golding on May 28 and determined that Golding submitted false claims, totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors requesting fees for deaths which he did not investigate.
In addition to submitting false claims, this information was reported to the Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System (PERS) thereby inflating his future benefits. Golding resigned as Coroner on June 6, 2013, and on Aug. 29, an order was issued in Union County Circuit Court freezing Golding’s retirement account.
“The civil demand issued by my office today represents the initial step to recover funds that were misappropriated,” said State Auditor Pickering. “During the 90 day freeze, we intend to work with PERS to reduce these inappropriate wages and return to Union County the employer funds paid into PERS by the taxpayers.”
“PERS is always pleased to work with the State Auditor’s Office to safeguard and maintain the integrity of the System and to insure the interests of the taxpayers of Mississippi are served,” said Pat Robertson, Director of PERS.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert