A first step toward pool
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken the first step toward development of a public swimming pool to serve our community.
The board, in its new budget approved last week, authorized $10,000 for a feasibility study for a New Albany pool.
In our mind, the question to be decided in the feasibility study is not whether we need a pool. The need is clear and a pool enjoys overwhelming support in the community.
The issue is whether the community can afford a year-round facility or a seasonal outdoor pool.
We have said many times that a community swimming pool is an expected part of community services, just like parks and sports facilities when families are looking for a place to relocate.
A swimming pool provides a place for recreational swimming, fitness training and rehabilitation and competitive swimming.
We also support making swimming instruction available to all children, preferably as part of the elementary-school curriculum. All of our children should learn to swim.
We applaud the Board of Aldermen and Mayor Tim Kent. By taking this progressive step, the board has gotten us a bit closer to getting our children and our grandchildren a place to learn to swim and our families a wholesome spot for summer recreation.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...