Auditor demands $398,000 from Golding
From staff reports
The state auditor’s office has made a civil demand for payment by former Union County Medical Examiner-Investigator Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83. This comes after auditors discovered Golding had submitted false claims totaling $276,591.56 to the Union County Board of Supervisors for death investigations he did not perform.
Additionally, the increased payments added to Golding’s potential retirement benefits through the Mississippi Public Employees Retirement System.
Golding resigned as coroner June 6, 2013, and his retirement account was frozen for 90 days by a Union County Circuit Court order issued Aug. 29. A spokesperson for the auditor’s office said the investigation began after a routine audit.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering said during the 90-day freeze, his office plans to work with PERS to reduce the inappropriate benefits.
Golding’s case is expected to be brought before the Union County grand jury in October where criminal charges could be brought in addition to and separate from the civil demand.
A special election will be held Nov. 5 to fill the coroner’s post.
About New Albany Gazette
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert