Golding plea deal
The decision by Mark Golding to plead guilty to two counts of fraud involving the coroner’s office and avoid a trial probably was in his best interest.
He was sentenced to 10 years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections, but six of those years were suspended. He also received four years of post-release supervision and ordered to repay $398,418.83.
A State Auditor’s Office investigation of Golding determined he submitted false claims totaling more than $276,000 to the Union County Board of Supervisors. He altered records and submitted false death investigation reports.
We don’t generally comment on jury verdicts in trials, but this was a special situation. There was no jury and no trial. We have two general thoughts.
First, based on the investigation we think a jury of his peers likely could have convicted him on many counts. His onerous and blatant misuse of taxpayer money does not sit well with us. We have zero tolerance for public officials’ stealing, and we doubt jurors would have had much either. So, we think he made a very attractive deal.
Second, the entire affair is an embarrassment to Union County and its elected Board of Supervisors, who approve the bills. People would have had to be dropping like flies to run up this kind of expense in the coroner’s office. Hopefully, better financial controls have been put in place for county expense payments.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series