Bulldogs thrill again
It was another week with another thrilling finish for the New Albany Bulldogs.
The team rallied for a come-from-behind 24-21 win over North Pontotoc, with kicker Eathen Rainey putting a 36-yard field goal through the uprights for the win.
“North Pontotoc is a really good football team and our kids are walking off the field with a win against a very good football team, “ Head Coach Ron Price said.
The Vikings jumped out to a 7-0 lead with running back Marcus Green scoring on the second play of the game off a 20 yard pass from quarterback Trey Jolly.
New Albany quarterback Bryce Collins answered for the Bulldogs with a three yard run of his own, tying up the game at 7 between the two teams.
Collins points would be the only score for the Bulldogs, while the Vikings added seven in both the second and third quarters of the game.
Down 21-7, Larenz Jones and the defense blocked a field goal attempt with Jones returning the kick 74 yards for a one possession game.
“Larenz just made a huge play to get us back in the ballgame. They were up 21-7, had all the momentum, and he changed the game for us,” Price said.
Jarel Lipsey also changed the game for NAHS, returning the ball 94 yards for a touchdown reception off a pass from Collins.
The resulting score tied the game, forcing extra minutes for the Vikings and the Bulldogs.
Chris Brown shut down the Vikings touchdown pass attempt, coming up with the interception to give the ball back to New Albany and allowing Rainey to kick the field goal.
“We are back to 3-3 and next week starts division play. For that, you can put everything aside….from this point on we have to take care of business,” Price said.
The Bulldogs will hit the road for their first division game against Senatobia on October 4. with team improvement the focus of the last half of the season.
“In a way, we don’t know how good this team is. I think if we continue to focus and we eliminate our mistakes that we can have a really great and really special football team,” Price said.
“Our offense is getting better, our defense has really held and kept us in some ballgames, and that makes me proud. We are improving every week, and the team is believing in each other and the game, which is all I can ask,” Price said.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...