Lady Urchins close home slate with win
East Union’s Lady Urchins closed their regular season home play with a big win, routing Falkner 14-4 in 5 innings.
The Urchins totaled 15 hits during the game, with four doubles and a triple home run from senior Katey Hunt inside the first inning.
Hunt’s homer placed the first three runs on the board for East Union, the hit following a double by senior center fielder Savannah Alexander.
Falkner loaded the bases in the second, though the first score came in the third on a double home run for a 5-2 score after RBI’s from Raelee Bell and Samantha Lineberry.
A double from Stephanie Hardy added two runs, w hile Kallie Roberts plated another for Hardy on her own double hit for a 8-2 score.
A fielders choice on loaded bases added a single run for Falkner, while Hunt and Tianna Castillo earned RBI’s to place the game at 12-3.
Falkner’s last score arrived in the fifth, a base hit plating a run after a pop-fly ball advanced the runner to third.
The Urchins added two more runs, Bell and Rebecca Sheffield with the RBI hits, for the 10-run lead to close the game in five innings.
With the win, East Union advances to 19-6 for the season after taking the division 2-2A title with an undefeated run.
“I’ve said all season that this might be the best group I’ve ever had,” Head Coach Josh Blythe said, “They are in record, but they’ve played a great season. This game was really just for fun, something to send our five seniors out with. And they played well tonight, I’m happy with how things went.”
The Urchins will draw hosting duties for the first round of playoffs, which begin on Tuesday, Oct. 15.
The best-of-three series will be against either Baldwyn or Mantatchie, depending on which team draws the number two seed out of Division 1-2A.
‘It’s a little tougher this year, but I like it. We usually have a team from the Delta or somewhere, but this year its closer to home and harder competition. But we get to play at home first, which is an advantage and we are just going to have some fun and see what happens. You have to take it a game at a time,” Blythe said.
Combined, Baldwyn and Mantatchie have lost five games in the 2013 season.
The Lady Mustangs ended a 21-game winning streak for the Lady Bearcats when the two teams met for a division game last week.
The two face off for the final division match-up today, with the winner taking the division title and the loser earning the runner-up position.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...